Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Mirror Up-Cycle

I came across this little gem in a second hand store, dusty and sitting behind other mirrors and picture frames. I instantly knew it had heaps of potential, all it would need is a lick of paint and some tender loving care.





 
When starting a new project I like to imagine what the piece of furniture will look like once it’s painted. The main question I ask myself is would it be something I would buy if I saw it in a shop? With this mirror I went with my gut. I was going to paint it pink but I wanted a colour that would really stand out, so I changed my mind and went with Annie Sloan’s Persian Green Chalk Paint.


I gave the mirror two coats of paint and once it had dried, I took a damp cloth and began to rub the paint off the detailed areas. For the smaller grooves I used a damp cotton bud. I done this on all the areas that I wanted the gold to show through. I decided not to use gold leaf on this mirror, it can be time consuming and this way is just as effective, cheating some might say.


Using clear wax and a waxing cloth, I sealed the entire frame. I used a thin bristle brush to wax the grooves and the areas which were harder to reach. I would usually let the wax dry before continuing but I immediately applied dark wax to the gold detailed areas of the mirror, and wiped off any excess wax using a cloth and clear wax.


Dark wax really makes the details stand out whilst making the piece look aged, it creates the perfect shabby chic look. I buffed the wax before it dried, something which I don’t normally do, however it gave the paint a beautiful shine.


This has to be one of my most prized pieces. Its magical French/Beauty and the Beast feel is definitely a show stopper! And my answer is yes, if you’re wondering. If I saw this in a shop, I’d be walking out of that store as a very happy customer!

No comments:

Post a Comment